It may be uncomfortable to talk about suicide, but it is a situation that cannot be ignored. Arizona Complete Health provides connections to resources, planning and training to begin the conversation.
If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, there are local and national confidential crisis lines accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week available to provide guidance to safety.
National and Local Hotlines
|Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, La Paz, Pima, Pinal, Santa Cruz and Yuma Counties||1-866-495-6735|
|Apache, Coconino, Gila, Mohave, Navajo and Yavapai Counties||1-877-756-4090|
|Tribal Warm Line||1-855-728-8630|
|Tohono O’odham Crisis Line||1-844-423-8759|
National Suicide Prevention Hotlines
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- 1-888-628-9454 (Spanish)
- Veterans Crisis Hotline
- 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and Press 1
- or Text message to 838255
- Crisis Text Line
- Text HOME to 741741
- Text NATIVE or INDIGENOUS to 741741 for Indigenous text line
- Teen Lifeline
- 1-800-248-TEEN (8336)
- The Trevor Project
(Youth who identify as LGBTQIA+)
- Safe Call Now
(Support for First Responders)
Arizona Complete Health Supports our Veterans and their families
If you are thinking of hurting yourself or having thoughts of suicide there are confidential crisis lines available to support you and provide guidance to safety.
You are not alone. Services are available 24/7.
- Veterans Crisis Line
- Be Connected Arizona
- Make the Connection
- Tragedy Assistance Program
- Suicide Prevention | Military.com
- Veterans Lifeline
Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Suicide Prevention | Arizona Department of Veterans' Services (az.gov)
- Crisis Prevention - Phoenix VA Health Care System
- National Center for PTSD
Learn the warning signs and start the conversation to prevent suicide:
Warning Signs of Suicide
- Severe behavior change: withdrawing, isolating or sudden improvement of mood.
- Historical factor: family history of suicide or previous attempt.
- Health condition: mental health or serious physical health issue.
- Environmental impact: stress, access to means or loss.
How to Have a Conversation
- Asking about suicide will not plant the idea in someone’s head.
- Ask directly… Are you thinking of killing yourself?
- Talk about suicide as you would about any other health condition.
- Listen and let the person know you care about them and want them to be safe.
Youth and Suicide
- By asking directly about suicide, you are giving them a chance to talk about their thoughts and feelings.
- Youth often do not reveal if a peer is thinking of suicide – tell them to find a trusted adult. There are some secrets one cannot keep.
- Maintain a connection and prioritize safety.
- Stay calm and do not leave the youth alone – find a supportive agency or adult who can help with resources.
Training and Resources
Arizona Complete Health Suicide Prevention Training
Providers and community members can schedule a suicide prevention training. Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) or an adaptation of the curriculum to the specific needs of the requestor is available upon request at no charge. For information or to schedule a session contact: AzCHSuicide_Prev_Trng@azcompletehealth.com
MY3 targets those who are depressed or suicidal and aims to keep a person stay connected to his/her core network. The person chooses three close contacts, such as friends, family, pastor or therapist, which he/she feels comfortable reaching out to whenever needing support. MY3 is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play, free of charge.
Suicide Safe Application
Suicide Safe furnishes behavioral and primary health care providers tips on how to assess for suicidal risk, communicate effectively with patients and their families. It helps with appropriate next steps, and how to make referrals when needed. SAMHSA's Suicide Safe app is available for download on Apple and Android mobile devices: http://store.samhsa.gov/apps/suicidesafe/
Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) suicide dashboard tracks the most recent trends and statistics on suicide for Arizona.