Mental Health First Aid
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is the help offered to a person who develops a mental health problem or crisis. The first aid is given until the best treatment is received or until the crisis resolves.
Why Mental Health First Aid?
- Mental health problems are common
- Stigma is associated with mental health problems
- Many people are not well informed about mental health problems
- Professional help is not always on hand
- People often do not know how to respond
- People with mental health problems often do not seek help
Why Mental Health First Aid Training?
Mental Health First Aid Certification teaches community members:
- Signs & symptoms of a mental health crisis
- What to do when a crisis is identified
- What to say to help those in crisis
- What not to say to those in crisis
- Where to refer people who are seeking help
Mental Health First Aid Certification
Mental Health Certification Training includes discussion and exercises on the following:
- Understanding Depression
- Non Suicidal Injury
- Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
- Understanding Anxiety Disorders & Panic Attacks
- Substance Use Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Understanding Schizophrenia
Types of Mental Health First Aid Trainings
- For Adults
- Higher Education
- Public Safety
- Older Adults
- For those working with Youth
Contact Arizona Complete Health-Complete Care Plan Member Services at 1-888-788-4408 (TTY/TDD: 711) for information on scheduling a training in your area.